Scenario: I recently started using Outlook 2013 to connect to my IMAP account. No mail was received unless I clicked Work Offline then Work Online. When I pressed Send/Receive All Folders nothing happened although it looks like it was just looping around synchronising.
I tried creating a new profile, reparing Outlook 2013 and removing spam & junk email scanners. I also checked another mail programme to make sure it was not my IMAP account at fault.
To fix the actual problem I did the following:
Click Send/Receive Groups -> Define Send/Receive Groups -> Edit -> De-Select Get folder unread count for subscribed folders -> click Use the custom behaviour defined below" -> tick Inbox only -> OK